It's Never Too Late... Until it is

This week we got to celebrate the first birthday of Little Miss! Where did this year go? The theme of her party was "You Are My Sunshine"since this is the song I sing to her almost everyday for nap time and it suits her precious personality in our family. We had a small gathering at our home and it was sweet. For her birthday, I did something I never thought I would ever do... I played her "You Are My Sunshine" on my ukulele!
Please understand, the only musical instrument I have ever been taught to play was a plastic recorder in third grade. You know, the flutophone type instrument where you learn "Three Blind Mice" and "Hot Cross Buns". I'm not even sure the shrill, ear piercing sound it emits qualifies as music, but I was always proud of myself, nonetheless, for mastering that little instrument! I have always loved music! In Elementary School, I was the child constantly playing records in my room and singing into the handle of my jump rope with a towel on my head. (I may have gone through a Crystal Gayle phase.) During Middle School I attempted to tackle the keyboard but mostly I would just hit the "demo" button and pretend to play along. In High School I would pound out "Heart & Soul" on any available piano. All this to say, music is in my bones but I've never had any formal training...much to the dismay of those within earshot...So, about 14 years ago I decided I was going to learn to play the guitar... I saved up my money and, when I was very pregnant with precious son number two, I took precious son number one to the music store and we bought me a guitar! And wouldn't you know it, life happened and that guitar sat in my closet until precious son number 2 grew up and learned to play it. And so I did what many of us do with dreams forgotten and passed by... I let it go and assumed that the opportunity was gone... My life was full of other things and who needs to play the guitar anyway, right?! But then something happened last year... My boys and I saw a video of a little girl named Grace Van Der Waal who auditioned for America's Got Talent. She wrote her own song and, you guessed it,  she played the ukulele. As I watched her play and sing, deep within me there was a spark... A curiosity, a voice saying, "I wonder if..." And instead of doing what I normally do which is stuff it down deep, pile other obligations and responsibilities on top of it, and squelch that little fire... I decided to fan the flame, and this year Peabody and I are learning the ukulele! I had some birthday money so I did what any self-respecting person would do and bought the cutest ukulele I could find on Amazon! Because if I'm going to play, I'm going to look adorable doing it! (Fortunately, P had a ukulele that he received for Christmas last year.) After doing some research, I settled on a starter book 21 songs in 6
days by Jenny Peters and Rebecca Bogart. (They have online videos to help you learn.) With our book, laptop, ukuleles and passion, Pierson and I made Mondays and Wednesdays lesson days! We were starting from scratch! We had to learn everything from Frets to strings to how to tune the darn thing! And after two lessons we both felt like professionals! A mere 5 weeks in, I taught myself to play "You Are My Sunshine". I was amazed! After our lesson today I managed to pick through "Blessed Be Your Name"...I'm telling you, I only know THREE CHORDS! My transition between chords leaves much to be desired, but I sat in my back room, with the rain hitting the window and I worshipped with my little cutesy ukulele! Wow! What a gift! I wonder how many times we let hopes, dreams and ambitions pass us by because we think the window has closed. Maybe you have always wanted to learn to cook, or take swing dance lessons, or figure out how to paint with watercolors. Maybe you would like to learn a foreign language, or go on a mission trip, or start your own business... Whatever it is, I would encourage you to give it a shot. I'll probably never be a concert "ukulele-ist", but I have so enjoyed making music! Search inside yourself today, what is it that is calling you or inspires you? What dream or stirring has the LORD put deep within you? It's never too late...until it is. Life is fragile and it is fleeting, and there are so many beautiful, wonderful things to experience! Don't let the busyness of life prevent you from LIVING.

haley for the hutch crew

Comments

Popular Posts